Monday, April 19, 2010

Thoughts on Criticism

 Natalia Vodianova by Peter Lindbergh 
I've been thinking about criticism and how to deal with it, how to take it, and when to know when to listen to it (and learn from it). In this industry EVERYONE will always have an opinion. The real artist listens to their own heart and follows their own path. However, that is easier said then done.

When I was painting in college I had a hard time ignoring the opinions and ideas of others. I would end up trying most every suggestion that was given to me, and would be left with a painting that wasn't what I wanted. I would spend HOURS re-painting the piece until it looked like my original idea.

I am now at that same step with my photography. So you may ask...how did I learn to take suggestions? Well, I would lock myself in my studio and paint with my ipod and my own thoughts. Probably not the answer you were looking for. Sorry. I am coming upon that time again, where I will lock myself up in the studio with my models and work. In a month we will see what I get. Or not.

“Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A word of optimism and hope. And you can do it when things are tough.”
Natalia Vodianova by Peter Lindbergh
When you have a specific style of art that you make, or a certain vision-people expect always that. However, every creative person will have the desire to change and try new things. This is how you learn and grow. I was happy to just find these shots by Peter Lindbergh, because they are do not have the usual Lindbergh look to them. They are different. Change is exciting-so go with it.
(One of my fave models, Natalia Vodianova, for Vogue China 2010)Natalia Vodianova by Peter LindberghNatalia Vodianova by Peter LindberghNatalia Vodianova by Peter LindberghNatalia Vodianova by Peter Lindbergh

No comments:

Post a Comment