Here they are. Finally some of my own photos to post. These are from my second shoot of Jolie with my new 22" beauty dish.
(Scroll down to the bottom of page for larger versions)
There are a couple things that I would like to talk about first. I was asked if I am planning on continuing to work in a "grungy" style. This kind of threw me for a loop, because I did not make a conscious effort to have a grunge style. I do not think of my work as grungy, I think of it as casual and slouchy. Thanks Riana for your comment - It got me thinking.
Continuing to look a little more into "Grunge," I found these Calvin Klein ads from the 90's that caused quite the controversy. I have to start by saying that I love Calvin Klein ads from the styling to the photography and the selection of models. Perfect. "Klein has always been at the forefront of the youth trend in advertising, but in a 1995 campaign for Calvin Klein Jeans, his images of pubescent models in provocative poses caused major controversy and debate when they crossed the line between fashion and pornography." (Media Awareness Network) This is an issue that I have been thinking about a lot lately as I research models and photography and find images of young girls skantily clad in provocative poses. The Annie Lebovitz shot of Miley Cyrus for the cover of Vanity Fair pops into my mind as well. I think there is a fine line that should not be crossed. However, we all see that it is done all the time right under our noses. I can only speak about my personal experiences as a model in NYC at 16. For me, I was lucky enough that my mom traveled with me to watch out for me. That however did not save me from rejection, the extreme pressures to diet and lose weight, and the crazy life of the city. It's a lot for a young girl to take in. And....If you notice I am no longer modeling. I hate to say this but if you want to compete it seems that certain measures must be taken to fit in, and sexy sells.
So back to the grunge influence. I do love images of Kate Moss from the 90's. Kate Moss is probably one of my biggest influences for many things (styling, posing, attitude, etc). I love the way that she moves in front of the camera, I love her effortless poses, and her down to earth vibe. To say it straightforwardly...She is cool as hell.
I guess my work does have that 90's grunge vibe to it. I know for certain that I'm cool with tying shirts around the waist, throwing on a dirty white t (maybe one that you slept in), and a pair of your fave ripped up jeans (or jean shorts -Love them) and messy hair. I tend to lean toward this "pared down aesthetic" (T Style Magazine, Grunge is Good) because it works for me. I do not have access to designer duds, and working on my own I do not need a stylist, makeup artist, or hair stylist. It's easily accessible. I grew up in the late 80's\early 90's so most likely this stuff is ingrained in my head. It's funny to me because I thought that I acquired what I call (in relation to modeling) "swag" from listening to hip hip and rap music, but I see that I had this long before with my unconscious love of 90's grunge (which I will also attribute to my cousins Rae & Bob for their long hair\mohawk, ripped up jeans, and flannel shirts that they rocked as I was growing up).
I plan on pushing my work even further (not necessarily 90's, but expect to see more casual movement and chill\sexy vibes). I like to keep my work clean, with minimal makeup, simple hair and a less is more approach to styling.
I plan on pushing my work even further (not necessarily 90's, but expect to see more casual movement and chill\sexy vibes). I like to keep my work clean, with minimal makeup, simple hair and a less is more approach to styling.








No comments:
Post a Comment