Sunday, February 7, 2010

Catalog Work

In anticipation for my catalog shoot tomorrow I thought that I would write a little about my influences for this type of work and why I like it. To start, catalog work has a very classic aesthetic. The models are pretty, relateable, friendly, and fun. The clothes are clean, crisp, soft, colorful, layered, and stylishly put together. The lighting is simple. Again pretty, and soft.

I find myself saying quite often if I had to pick one way to shoot and style for the rest of my life J Crew would probably come pretty close. The images are very simple. Yet direct, full of energy, and classically beautiful. This is defineitly one of my influences.


I am also a big fan of my newest Victoria's Secret Catalog (Spring Fashion 2010 Vol.1 No1). The cover has an unexpected voluptuous look to it. The model is seated (which we all know isn't exactly the quickest way to appear slender) seductively staring down the camera (or viewer). The combination of neon yellow bra, bright pink shirt (from the small bits of it that you can actually see), bangle bracelets, small charm necklace and unwashed hair depict a young and fun vibe. This shot reminds  me of something I would imagine a girl like Drew Barrymore wearing. someone hip, outgoing, and yet still feminine.


What I really like about this catalog is the styling. I love the slouchy jean shorts paired with casual t's, loose hair, and poses that show movement and personality. If you have the catalog there is a six page spread that you should check out from p.150-155. I love page 153 (Above Cropped: new relaxed boyfriend jean short, pockets exposed, slouchy see through tank, pink bra, simple necklace, nude chunky sandals).


The lighting for my shoot tomorrow will be simple white blown out ground. With white (clothes) on white (background). Here is an example:
 
(Michael Kors)


Check back in a couple days to see the photos from my catalog shoot : )

No comments:

Post a Comment