
This is a small world. I found the next model on the roster on model mayhem. She stood out to me instantly. Right at the top of her page you will find the words "I love my job." The next thing I found said "I am "made-to-order." Re-create me, mold me, and let's inspire." I loved this, because looking at this girls photos that is exactly how I felt. Her photos are all very different with interesting expressions and looks. Finally the words that made me laugh and hot home with me as well "Please do not recreate this work. To do so is disrespectful and takes away from the creativity and hard work we put into the shoot in the first place. BE ORIGINAL!" I knew this girl was confident, opinionated, and I wanted to see what kinds of creative ideas she had to share.

Now on to the next part of the story. I actually did not end up speaking with her on model mayhem before my trip, but she ended up being a friend of a friend which worked out. We spoke a bit before the shoot, to make sure that we would both get what we wanted out of the images. I think it clicked for both of us when we discovered that we both love the work of Jamie Nelson. Anyway, I hope that you like Genii, her work, and you can take something from what she has to say. This is a cool girl.
She showed up to our shoot looking very stylish and beachy in a flowy dress, cute sandals, and sunglasses. I'd have to describe her as professional and open. She seemed up for whatever I was ready to throw at her. Check out what she had to say below.
How did you get into modeling? Was it always a dream?
There was a girl at my High School who was a model with IMG. She asked me one day if I had ever thought about modeling and I about died laughing. My perception of “models” were beautiful, curvaceous women like Cindy Crawford—not 105lb, 5-10 twigs like myself. But she convinced my mother to take me to Miami to some agencies and I got picked up by NEXT Model Management and my career took off from there.

How would you describe a normal work day? Step by Step?
Wake up and perform my extensive skin care regime. Head to a casting, fitting, and/or job. Sometimes 2 shoots or shows in a day which makes me happiest as I LOVE to be busy.
What was your best experience modeling?
My best is when I am shooting with a great team. Yesterday I shot for a designer and he had me wear this super short auburn bob wig. I totally got to transform myself into another person. They did the same with a Blink Magazine editorial a while back and I just LOVE getting into character.

Your worst?
Worst was probably when I wore stilettos on the back of my friends Harley to a runway show. My foot slipped and I had a 3rd degree burn on my ankle. I couldn’t let the client know and had to wear very tight, leather, ankle boots. As soon as they strapped the shoes onto me the pain caused me to momentarily pass out. Once I came to, I walked the runway without showing the immense pain I was suffering from every time the ankle boot cut into my burned flesh.
Worst was probably when I wore stilettos on the back of my friends Harley to a runway show. My foot slipped and I had a 3rd degree burn on my ankle. I couldn’t let the client know and had to wear very tight, leather, ankle boots. As soon as they strapped the shoes onto me the pain caused me to momentarily pass out. Once I came to, I walked the runway without showing the immense pain I was suffering from every time the ankle boot cut into my burned flesh.
What has been the biggest obstacle?
Being comfortable with who you are. There is so much pressure to keep getting thinner and thinner or become more and more perfect that you really have to have something in your life that grounds you so you do not go nuts.
Who is your favorite model and why?
She isn’t a model but she has modeled and is by far my favorite famous woman. Scarlette Johansson. She seems so real, confident, and beautiful. She has a classic beauty mixed with the edge of her rocker-like personality that I just adore.
Where do you get your inspiration during a shoot?
At night before a shoot I lay in bed daydreaming of how the shoot with go. I run through potential poses, facial expressions, or if I know the wardrobe, how I will manipulate it and then I draw from my own emotions and experiences to truly get the feel of the character.
You have a very distinct modeling\posing style can you describe it and explain how you “discovered it?”
Haha! I am kind of known as a bit of a contortionist. I was told when I first started in the high fashion business that “knowing how to create angles when posing with your limbs and body has the upmost importance in being a good fashion model.”
How would you describe your look? Has it always been praised and accepted or have you had to work to find your niche?
In NY, Paris, and London I worked very well. I have the coloration (blond hair, blue eyes, and pale skin) of the Irish side of my family but then I have the facial features from the Native American side (high cheek bones, angular face, and almond shaped eyes.) It has been a challenge getting acceptance from the commercial clients in Miami but I am determined!

What are some of your do’s and don’ts for a shoot?
Do not be a diva. There are millions of girls who want to be in your shoes and you are performing a job. Also, be prepared. There is nothing worse than a model who is unprepared to work.
What advice do you have for those that hope to break into the industry?
To be 100% honest… Do not try to get into it unless you are genetically a model. And by that, I mean, 5’8+ and genetically thin. I have seen far too many girls starve themselves and mentally/emotionally destroy themselves trying to be models who are just not naturally thin/tall. Also, have a back up plan. Very few girls are successful in this industry. Go to college or a specialty school so that you have something to fall back on.

Where do you get styling\fashion inspiration? Please list websites of favorite photogs, makeup artists, designers, stores, etc that you frequently hit up.
I am obsessed with British Twee fashion at the moment. I love knee high socks, dorky shoes, and cute vintage dresses. I adore shopping online at TopShop.com or in vintage stores for one of a kind pieces.
People who I have had the blessing of working with that I really admire are Ron Goldstein www.thephotomovement.com, Blink magazine www.blinkmag.com/mx, and as far as makeup goes, I am completely obsessed with anything Dior. Their skincare line is to die for!

(Here are a couple shots I took of Genii in Miami)






No comments:
Post a Comment