Sunday, March 6, 2011

April C: This Cincy girl can work it!

As most of you know I'm from Cincinnati, so a selection of the model highlights for this month will come from home. I know that when most people think of Ohio celebrities and models are probably one of the last things that come to mind. However quite a few of my fave’s started out here like Sarah Jessica Parker, Nick Lachey, and Carmen Electra. 
 
    
The next model on the March Model Madness roster is April C. from Cincinnati. She is an amazing girl, cool, funny, down to earth, and beautiful on the inside and out. She is 20 years old and already has her associates in business management (from my alma mater the University of Cincinnati). I’ve been lucky enough to shoot with her quite a few times. Every shoot with April is fun and unique. I know that I can put her in any situation and she will bring something special to the shot. Not to mention those eyes, freckles, lips, cheek bones, the list goes on and on!

She began modeling at 13 when she was scouted at a career fair by Wings Models. She made it a priority to complete school, but now that she is done she quickly jumped in to the modeling world. Her first stop was Red Model Management in New York City for a month. In that short amount of time she appeared in Jimon magazine and landed the cover of Faint magazine. She says “And now I’m ready to test the water in another country.  So my next stop with be Asia coming up soon.” 

 


Below is an interview that I did with April. For all of you Cincy girls reading this I hope that it will help to give you some insight to the big apple and what to expect.

You recently traveled to NY. What was a typical day like for you?
New York was amazing, but exhausting!  On a typical day I had anywhere from one to ten castings with some test shoots thrown in every once in a while.  One day my castings would start at 8am and the next day they would start at 4pm.  Being a model, your schedule is always unpredictable and you have to be ready for anything, at any time.  The castings themselves are not hard or difficult, but the thing that is difficult is getting from one casting to another (across NYC) in fifteen minutes.  Sometimes it seems almost impossible to get to all your castings on time.  So my advice to any models traveling, is to bring a comfy pair of flats or gym shoes to run to your castings to, then switch to heels when you get there.  Be ready to run!

What was your weirdest casting?
One of the weirdest castings I went to in New York, they first had me fill out a few questions…and they weren’t exactly the stereotypical questions that I get asked at a casting.  They asked, “If you were a fictional character, who would you be?”  Then after a series of odd questions, they had me read a few lines from different movies.  At that point I kind of felt like an actress, not a model.  And then they turned on some loud music and told me to just dance…however I wanted.  It all felt a little different to me, but it was fun to do a little more than just a couple polaroids.

Who was your favorite photographer you worked with and why?
Hmmmmm…. Now what other photographer would glue rhinestones all over my lips and have me chew on bubblegum? None other than Robin!  The shoots are ALWAYS fun and hilarious!!!
 (Shot that I took of April)
You are a natural in front of the camera. Do you have any tips for new models?
I would suggest to just keep moving.  Make different shapes with your body.  Work your outfit… if you have pockets, a belt, or a collar.  And give a range of facial expressions.  You could have the most amazing pose in the world, but be totally dead in the face and the picture won't work.

Your freckles are very distinct and quite a unique feature. Do you like them? Do they help or hinder your career, or do they not have an affect at all?
I love my freckle because they are a unique feature.  They are usually an advantage in my career because they set me apart from other models.  Although at a few photo shoots I have had them covered over by makeup, but everyone’s taste is different and not everyone is going to love all of your features.  


Who is your favorite model and why?
Adriana Lima is by far my favorite model.  She just has a crazy exotic look that is so appealing.  And she can just give one look with her eyes and make a photo reek “sexy”.  I guess that’s why Victoria Secret loves her.  Ha!

What are three things that you never forget to bring with you to a shoot?
Three things that I never forget to bring to a shoot are my portfolio (because someone else on that shoot could want to see it and book you in the future), a snack (because sometimes a shoot could last forever and no food will be provided), and a strapless nude bra (well I think you can figure that one out).
 
(Behind the Scenes makeup-NYC)
What are your goals for the future?
My goals for the future include riding out modeling for as long as I can.  I know it a job with a pretty short shelf life, so I’m just going to enjoy it while I can.  But after modeling, I would love to stay within the fashion industry and open a clothing boutique.  Besides modeling and fashion, my other passion is business, so I believe it’s the best way to mix the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment