Sunday, March 13, 2011

Alexandra Madar: Another Young Success Story

The next model on the countdown is the youngest so far! It's Alexandra Madar who is only 16. This girl definitely stands out in a  crowd, with curly red hair, freckles and an intensity beyond her years. Right now she is based in Miami, FL and signed with Elite models. She says "I have a very big dream. To become a very successful model and to be an inspiration to a lot of people out there who feel that just because they look different they look weird." I think "looking weird" is something that a lot of people can relate to, and I'm always a huge fan of those that try to send positive ideas to teens. Check out her interview below for March Model Madness Month!
 
Right away I'm sure that everyone notices your red hair. Can you talk a bit about clients reactions and if it is helpful in making you stand out? 
I think having red hair definitely makes us standout in a crowd full of models. It gives off a very unique look which can make us stand out in a clients mind. It can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing.

  

At 16 you already have an impressive book. Can you explain how you got to where you are? Do you think that you have certain personality traits that help you succeed?
Thank you! Well when I was 14 I was given a list of agencies to contact from my mom's friend, this was during the summer before I started my journey to high school.  I've always wanted to model so it was so incredible to know that someone, other than myself, believed in me. So I just wanted to start high school and see if I would be busy or if I could potentially handle becoming a model. And one day, around November, I decided to contact the list of agencies. I first contacted Ford and then Elite. Elite replied within 5 minutes of me sending my pictures and information. So I went in the next day, they told me to come back in 2 weeks to make sure that this was what I really wanted, and I did and I have been with them ever since.

  

Can you describe your "style" a bit more and explain how new models can cultivate their own style or make themselves stand out in a positive way.
Yeah, I am a really awkward person sometimes. But I kind of incorporate that into my poses and stuff. Sounds weird, but it looks really cool on camera. My style goes with how I feel. If I am having a relaxed day or just a kind of simple day, I go for the vintage attire. If I am very busy, I tend to lean towards the more modern rocker chic look. It is kind of like Miley Cyrus meets Taylor Swift in a way. And for new models, just find out who you are and incorporate that into your everyday look. Usually new models are still trying to figure themselves out but that's okay. Just change your looks up until you find one that really suits you and that you feel most confident in. 
 

How do you balance school, modeling, friends, and life?
Balancing school, modeling, friends, and basically everything can be difficult at times. I try to make time for everything. It's especially hard to balance school and modeling because they both are dreams of mine. Since I was little I have always wanted to attend NYU or even Brown for Broadcast Journalism. And when the modeling opportunity came about, I definitely took that into consideration for my future as well. It's tough though because a lot of the castings are during the day which is when I am in school. Or sometimes a photo shoot will be on a school day. Either way I am sacrificing something to be somewhere. But in the end, everything works out and having my family and friends to support me every step of the way is really incredible.

What is your mindset during a shoot?
During a photo shoot I just think about the final result and how proud my mom will be to see it. I give it my all every time because I don't want to let anyone down. But it's also good not to be too serious, you want to have fun as well.

 

What is the most difficult aspect of modeling? It can be personal, physical, emotional, etc.
The most difficult aspect of modeling would be my age. Being 16 has not enabled me to travel as much as I would like to. And it has also prevented me from getting jobs that I would have loved to get. However, this summer, I am going to NYC for the entire summer just for modeling! I am so excited about that.  Also incorporating school, I am probably going to visit NYU's campus while I am there.

Do you have any tips for young models just starting out?
Yes! For young models starting out, don't let being a model get to your head. Especially since you are young, try to stay as grounded as possible. There are some models who are amazing at what they do but they can be a bad influence outside of the industry. Just remember to stay true to who you were before you got started. And also, have an amazing personality! It's not just about how tall you are, the way you look, and your physique, but it's about the way you present yourself. They clients want to work with someone who will be fun and outgoing, not someone shy and who doesn't talk. Also, remember that if this is something you truly want, stay dedicated to it. Eat healthy, exercise frequently, and practice posing in your mirror. It's hard being young and staying away from junk food but it's completely worth it.

   

Being on a photo shoot you want to interact with everyone. It's not about what you know but about who you know. Write down everyone you worked with that day on a notecard or even a journal to keep track of who you have worked with. Also BRING FOOD AND DRINKS. This is so important because photo shoots can go past the time that they give. Not all photo shoots are provided with food or drinks and they can go on for 6 hours and even longer. If you aren't feeling good, make sure you try to work through it, but you have to speak up. If you need a water or food break, take it. 
 

You mentioned wanting to model to help make an impact on the world, would you mind expanding upon this? 
Sure! For me, before I got started in modeling I was bullied in middle school. And I always just kept a smile on my face but it really did tear me apart. My classmates would bully me for things that I couldn't change. Such as my hair color, freckles, my height, my white skin, and even my birthmark on my leg. I really want to show young girls and even boys out there that things do get better and that the light at the end of the tunnel looks amazing when you get there. I want to show people to not let ANYONE get in your way of achieving your dreams and showing the world what you've got to give. As Justin Bieber would say, never say never.  

1 comment:

  1. This young women is absolutely incredible. She is such a beautiful person both inside and out. Such an inspiration. This young lady is going to go far with her intelligence and amazing drive, not to mention gorgeous looks as well.

    ReplyDelete