Thursday, January 28, 2010

Courage & Money

So I have a couple of things that I have been wanting to write about. The first deals with issues of payment for services and goods. I have been putting a lot of thought into whether of not I would bring up this issue, but since it keeps lingering in my mind (and I have been asked the same question 10 times) I will adress it.

I want to start out by saying that in this world I think it is extremely important to look at things from the other person's perspective. I know that this phrase is cliche'. However, it specifically applies in the times that we are living in with our economy. It is always easier to look at someone and think, geez they are a lot better off than I am. My boyfriend has pointed out to me (many times...for some reason I need him to give me this talk a lot) that everyone has skeletons in their closet, and no matter how perfect someone seems they have their own issues.

I am going to keep this short because I do not think it is neccessary to discuss in much length. I do feel that some people, due to inexperience may not realize how they are presenting themselves. On that note, I have had quite a few people show interest in getting new pictures for their portfolios, but when the issue of payment comes up everyone seems to be all out of money. Two thoughts stand out in my mind. First, you would never go to the mall and ask the clerk "Hey, I see that you have this shirt on sale for $70 can I buy it for $50?" Being a photographer is a profession and if you want good pictures you have to pay for them. Also, you get what you pay for. Just remember that.

Secondly, I found this quote a few days ago in a book that my mom had laying around about courage (Thoughts on Courage; thoughts and reflections from history's great thinkers) and I think that it applies to this situation. When I read it I thought of my budding photography business, but I also see how new models could use this idea as well.

It takes vision and courage to create - It takes faith and courage to prove (Owen D. Young)

Whenever you start something new you have to have faith that your efforts will pay off, and enough courage that if it doesn't work out you will be able to make it through. I hope that you are enjoying reading my blog as much as I am enjoying writing it. This process helps me a lot in sorting out ideas, visualizing ideas, and actually putting together thoughts on paper. I'm thinking about scanning in some of the pages from my old sketchbooks from college to share. Let me know if you would be interested.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. It really is true- you do get what you pay for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog!! Very inspirational

    ReplyDelete