Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Newbies & Testing

If you didn't already know I work with New View Management Group (http://nvmodels.com/) as a fashion photographer and instructor (I am a freelance photographer, so yes I do commercial work as well). I teach fashion, photo, and runway classes at New View.

I thought that I should talk a little bit about what I teach and why to explain to new models how they can benefit. I've had a bunch of newbies ask me for tips and suggestions on all kinds of topics, specifically questions about testing.

First of all, lets start with a definition: a test shoot or "testing" is a photoshoot for a model that is designed to build his\her book. Testing is probably one of the most important steps for new (and even experienced models) to take. New pictures can create excitement throughout the agency and with clients. I will discuss how my testing process works, because this may vary for different photographers.

I tell both my students and the models that I test that my process is all about marketing. When I look at a model I am trying to decide how they should be marketed and what is their "look." This is very important, because a lot of time clients don't have the time to imagine what models may look like in a specific type of clothes. Let's take a catalog look for example:

Catalog work is usually very classic, soft, fun, and friendly. If the new model only has pictures with a very serious expression and is wearing all black in every outfit the client may wonder "Can this guy\girl smile? Can he wear color? Does this person have a dark\serious personality?." This sounds odd, but it's true. You have to remember that a lot of the time clients will not actually see you before a job. They will be selecting the model from their comp card. So your comp card must show a range of expressions and a variety of looks.

 
(Here is an example of a comp card that I shot - I took the front image, the top left, and the bottom right)

So before my test shoots I send every model a list of items to bring. This list will be based upon the look that I will be shooting for you. This might not be the look that you normally go for, or even that you like. I always recommend that new models test, test, test and be willing to try as many types of photography as possible because every photographer has a different style.

After you have been working for a while you will learn to look for the style of photography that you prefer. This will be the look that is most flattering to you. For example, you may have amazing skin and a great face for beauty work. If this is the case you would want to look for photographers that specialize in beauty.

The next step in my testing process is the photoshoot. I test all of my models at New View in their studio, which is an awesome setup. We have a makeup room, changing room, the studio, a kitchen, and a break room. If you have already taken classes at New View you are very familiar with all of these rooms, and the process that you go through for a shoot. You will have even more insider info if you took your photo classes with me. However, my photo classes are very different than my test shoots.

The benefit of testing is that the model gets 1 on 1 attention for an extended period of time. This makes for a great opportunity for interaction between the model and photographer and my goal is to open you up! and get you moving. I spend a lot of time working with the model, coaching them, and sharing expertise. I like to say that my shoots are very laidback and easy going. I don't force anything, but work to find the models natural style of movement.

I hope that this quick explanation will help you guys feel a little more comfortable and open to the idea of testing. Just remember, if you aren't testing someone else is. You don't want to be left behind with old pictures. The more that you are in front of the camera the better you get! Riana is the perfect example of this. The first time that I tested her she didn't have a lot of experience. However, we kept testing and building her book and she worked with other photographers as well. She did every test shoot that she could find. Then when she decided to model professionally in Miami she was ready. Her book was built up to a point that she was signed with 301 Model Management from her pictures alone. This is the ultimate goal for many, but most models do not even make it to this point. There are certain things, like testing, that will get you to your goal.


(These are all pictures of Riana from Tests that I shot)

1 comment:

  1. I tested with Robin earlier this week and it was a pleasure working with her. Very professional, knowledgeable, experienced and easy to work with. Would undoubtedly call again if I ever needed to book a photo shoot.

    Derek

    ReplyDelete