Monday, May 24, 2010

Shepard Fairey

 (Fairey and I)
Saturday night I had the pleasure of meeting Shepard Fairey at the CAC show in downtown Cincinnati. In case you are wondering (for my non-artistic readers)...Fairey is the one that created the Obama "Hope" poster. He is an American artist that emerged from the skateboarding scene. The Institute of Contemporary Art (Boston) calls him one of today's best known and most influential street artists. He's a really down to earth, nice guy.

I was asked at the last minute to "model" by swimming in a dumpster (I know...crazy). The water was freezing, but it was really fun and definitely a once in a lifetime experience. I was lucky enough to get to talk to Fairey for quite a while about art and life (I guess one of the perks of swimming in a dumpster is that you get noticed). He gave me some great words of encouragement about pursuing my dreams as an artist and not giving up. It was perfect timing too, because I really needed to hear that from someone that knew what they were talking about.
 (Above: Emily and I in front of the Dumpster...before be dove in)

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg6sNQCZw0flGwl14zB0pbvAJxd63Eo0s7CmDZujBtnBsMMNzXNwpxS4ALDyd6xDMTf0Ft2fX64LmuJUs9YiHklbKjqQSafgRLmEWENdN0FL3mhfEGs6fx2PEdt27E30n17ouS_t7VU9mw/s400/Shepard+Fairey_Cincinnati.jpghttp://morristsai.com/assets_c/2010/04/FaireyFeedingAmerica-thumb-400x300-2024.jpghttp://www.aeqai.com/images/fairey_shepard3.jpghttp://supertouchart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Screen-shot-2010-02-21-at-7.54.39-PM.png

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got to meet Shepherd. He struck me as a good guy when he participated in a dialog with members, though I didn't get to meet him in person. Did you like his dj work? Remember his encouraging words. He's had a lot of challenges in prusuing his vision, so he knows whereof he speaks.

    ReplyDelete